Scroll down for available positions
About Blackbird Guitars
Established in 2007, Blackbird Guitars crafts wood-free and worry-free acoustics with concert level performance. Blackbirds are made in San Francisco out of Ekoa material—an eco-friendly alternative that sounds better than rainforest wood. Blackbird is a premier instrument brand with a unique product line built by dedicated artisans along with a bit of aerospace technology. Blackbird employees enjoy a work culture befitting of its San Francisco's Mission district. We are always looking for highly motivated folks to join the team, so please get in touch even if you don't see an open position.
Details for all positions:
Location- 2180 Folsom Street, San Francisco
Hours- Full time 40 hours a week
How to apply- CONTACT US
All applicants must have authorization to work in the US.
You will be an integral part of the team building our Ekoa composite instruments in a fast-paced workshop. Daily responsibilities include molding composite parts, machining parts, prepping, sanding and assembly. The ideal candidate is focused, organized, and detailed oriented. This is an entry level position with further skills training on the job.
- Demonstrated interest in production work
- Ability to perform craftwork on instruments including assembly and finish processes.
- Interest in learning: instrument making, automated and composites manufacturing.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs regularly.
- Experience with building/repairing instruments, composites a plus (not required).
$15 per hour. Room for advancement. Vacation and commuter benefits.
Be part of the team producing instruments from assembled stage through final setup, QC inspection, and shipping. Specific tasks include:
- Fretboards, bridges, saddles, nuts, electronics, and other parts preparation
- Applying adhesives, filing, sanding, and buffing for perfect finish on all surfaces
- Prep and gluing parts to finished bodies
- Tuner, nut and saddle installation
- Electronic pickup installation including soldering, string balance, and wire management
- Final set-up including polishing, stringing, saddle and nut adjustments
- Boxing and shipping finished instruments
- Maintaining assembly area supplies and ordering as needed
- Working in cooperation with other Blackbird team members
- Ability to perform fine craftwork on musical instruments including assembly and finish processes. Training for Blackbird-specific skills on the job.
- Experience building and/or repairing fretted musical instruments.
- Desire to build high quality musical instruments and grow with the company.
- Enthusiastic team spirit.
Hourly range is $18-$20 per hour depending on experience. Vacation + commuter benefits.
APPRENTICE GUITAR MAKER
Initial daily responsibilities include sanding parts, buffing guitar bodies, gluing up assemblies. The ideal candidate is highly detailed oriented with experience sanding, prepping, polishing, finishing, buffing parts and paint finishes. Ability to work on many tasks.
Ability to perform fine craftwork on musical instruments including assembly and finish processes. Further skills training on the job. Experience building and/or repairing guitars or other instruments a plus but not required. Interest in learning new skills
This is a three month paid apprenticeship
The position is a ground floor opportunity with a growing, innovative and high-profile musical products and materials company located in the San Francisco Mission district. The job requires juggling various projects but with a enough time to focus on each. You will be working directly with the CEO to engage instrument production operations, product development and entrepreneurship in general. You will also be in the shop when needed working with the production team. In addition, you will be involved in the materials production side of the business Lingrove. The position involves some general administration work as well.